Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Frivolity



Some pictures of our Christmas fun with Chris' mom. She discovered the fun of the Wii tonight. Unfortunately she discovered it when she has to go home in the morning. 
A few favorite gifts were, a Play group handbook from my mom, a dulcimer hand made by Chris' Grandpa who recently passed away, a musical train for Anders and quite a few gift cards. (Gotta love those!) There were many other wonderful gifts and good times.  It was especially fun to have both my sisters and their families here from Texas. I haven't seen them since February and it felt like a very long time!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas as well. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dulcimer is such a cool Christmas gift---especially one with such sentimental value! Plus dulcimers are so much fun to play! And it's a gift that will keep on giving, one generation after another...

My dad built a really nice, very playable & good sounding dulcimer from a kit from the Ozark Mountain Folk Center many years ago, and I'm the only one of six children that ever learned how to tune & play it. And over the years several of his children & grandchildren have asked him if they could have it when he dies (including me), but with his memory problems, he always says "yes." So I'm sure they'll probably have to put their names in a hat and draw a name or something when the time comes, but I probably won't even put my name in----so that someone else that really wants it can have it (Besides, I have something like 7 or 8 nice guitars, plus a really cool banjo, and some other stuff, so I really don't need a dulcimer!)

I believe if you think of it as a real musical instrument and actually create music with it---instead of thinking of it as a wall decoration (like most people do), then I believe you'll find this to be a gift, greater than any store bought gift----cause it's like every time you play it, memories of your "grandpa" will fill the room with sweet sounding sound waves of life....

Gretchen said...

Thanks Daniel, my hubby learned to play a little and I'm sure Anders will learn in due time as well. I agree with the importance of playing an instrument as opposed to hanging it on a wall. If we do hang it on a wall it will get taken down and played!