Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Surprisingly Good Sloppy Joe's

Tonight I had planned to make Spaghetti but instead decided to make Sloppy Joe's.  I have never made them so I looked up a couple of recipes on line.  What I came up with was pretty darn good and I was able to hide a bunch of veggies in the mix as well! 

One pound of lean ground beef or turkey
1 half onion
1 small can of tomato paste
1 pkg. brown gravy
veggies cooked and cut up very small pieces
steak or beef seasoning
cumin (tsp.)
salt and pepper
1 half cup brown suger
water or beef broth


Brown onions first in a tbls. of olive oil, add meat and brown
add gravy mix (follow instructions on package)
add tomato paste, veggies, spices and some water or beef broth
simmer and then add brown sugar

Toast whole wheat buns in the oven on 400 degrees for about 8 minutes
Cover buns with the mixture and enjoy! 


This was a winner and I loved how quick it was to make!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So as I write this I'm eating lunch in my office while getting caught up on reading some of those blogs I like to read, but instead of getting full, reading about this sloppy joe recipe is just making me hungrier!

Gretchen, in the veggies you included, did you include celery? (I like to use fresh chopped green pepper, carrot, and celery that I pressure-cook to retain the full flavor, and the celery surprisingly enhances the flavor). One of the favorite things I like about sloppy joes is how good they smell while cooking... Must be that dog sense of smell I have in me!

P.S.
I started a new blog called, "Too Funny or Interesting to Forget" that you might find somewhat amusing....

Amy said...

You totally inspired me to make sloppy joes.